Saturday, August 6, 2011

Carpentry / Woodworking

So I'm really wanting to start getting into carpentry.  Not just the carpentering, but also the detailing.  Call it my masculine need to make and repair useful shit that also looks good.  The whole 9 yards.  Crafting, burning, staining, and sealing.  Even restoring old beat up shit, and making it into old nice shit again.

There are several reasons I think this will be a good lifelong 'hobby' for me, but the biggest in my mind right now is boredom.  I've been looking for a new hobby I can do at home that doesn't involve gaming, and I keep coming back to this.  It's to the point now I'm not even entertaining any other ideas.

I imagine it's going to start with smaller detailing when we can start spending any money on it.  Purchasing some wood burning supplies, and small pre-built things.  I'm thinking small to medium boxes will be first, followed by making my own books / journals.  The boxes being something I can simply burn, stain and seal.  With the books being something I can create myself with minimal cost.

The first steps shouldn't be too bad on the finances, it's what comes after that will be harder.  I eventually want to be able to make anything I want out of wood, from shelves to cabinets to even a deck for the house.  Screw that pre-built shit, I want to KNOW the quality, as well as having the satisfaction of doing it myself.

It seems like such a fantasy right now.

1 comment:

  1. I get the first book right? One with an Ebony wood cover and back :)

    ReplyDelete